Modern biotechnology has changed the perception of seeing the world. It provides breakthrough products and technologies to combat the critical problems. For example, in vitro fertilization leading to ‘test tube’ baby, synthesizing a gene and using it, developing a DNA vaccine or correcting a defective gene, are all part of biotechnology.Recent advances in biotechnology are helping us prepare for and meet the dynamic issues of society.The modern biotechnology is helping us in CURING THE WORLD through its various research by
- Successfully reduced the rate of infectious disease.
- Designing treatment to individuals to mitigate health risks and side effects
- Various tools are created which are so precise to detect disease.
- Combating serious illnesses and everyday threats confronting the developing world.
Modern biotechnology is also helping in LEADING THE WORLD as it uses processes such as fermentation and harnesses bio-catalysts such as enzymes, yeast, and other microbes to become microscopic manufacturing plants.
- Streamlining the steps in chemical manufacturing processes by 80% or more;
- Improving manufacturing process efficiency to save 50% or more on operating costs;
- Reducing use of and reliance on petrochemicals;
- Using biofuels to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 52% or more;
- Decreasing water usage and waste generation; and
- Tapping into the full potential of traditional biomass wastage
Modern biotechnology is also helping in PROVIDING THE WORLD by improving crop insect resistance, enhances crop herbicide tolerance and facilitates the use of more environmentally sustainable farming practices.Biotech is helping to feed the world by:
- Generating higher crop yields with fewer inputs;
- Lowering volumes of agricultural chemicals required by crops-limiting the run-off of these products into the environment;
- Using biotech crops that need fewer applications of pesticides and that allow farmers to reduce tilling farmland;
- Developing crops with enhanced nutrition profiles that solve vitamin and nutrient deficiencies;
- Producing foods free of allergens and toxins such as mycotoxin; and
- Improving food and crop oil content to help improve cardiovascular health.
Source: healing, fueling, feeding: how biotechnology is enriching your lifeSource: https://www.bio.org/what-biotechnology